This is one of those dishes, when people ask you what’s in it, you should really say “just try it.” The ingredients don’t look good ‘on paper’ but if have ever had this dish you KNOW it is just unreal how good it is.
The cheese sauce is what really makes this dish. I’m not a huge fan of cooking with mayo, but there’s so little and it makes it that much more decadent. The lime, cilantro and garlic help lighten it up too.
You simply MUST grill the corn. If it’s not grilled, you won’t get that awesome char flavor that really makes you feel like you’re eating from a vendor on the streets of Tijuana. Don’t be scared to really take your time to get that nice black char. I promise you it doesn’t taste burnt at all!
Once it’s done grilling, you slather on that yummy cheese sauce and top with it with a little more cheese and chili powder. It is simply stunning.
I hope you try this because I can almost guarantee you will LOVE it. I know that my whole family does!
Mexican Street Corn (Elotes)
- 1/2 cup of Sour Cream or Mexican Crema
- 3 Tbs Mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup finely crumbled Cotija Cheese, plus more for serving
- 1/4 cup finely chopped Cilantro
- 1 clove grated or finely minced Garlic
- 1/4 tsp Guajillo chili powder, plus more for serving
- 1/4 tsp Ancho chili powder
- Juice of 1 Lime
- 4 ears of Corn, shucked
- Preheat grill to medium high heat.
- Combine Sour Cream (or Crema, mayonnaise, cheese, cilantro, garlic, chili powders and lime juice in a small bowl. Mix well and set aside.
- When grill is hot, cook corn directly above the flames until tender and charred on all sides. About 10-15 minutes total. I like to close the grill to ensure the corn gets tender, but keep an eye on it!
- When the corn is nicely charred, brush on the cheese mixture all over.
- Top with a little extra cheese and chili powder for serving.
Please let me know if you like it. Happy Noshing!