This chicken nuggets recipe is a keeper. It’s gold! I love to make a bunch to keep in the freezer for an easy meal for the kids. I also have to account for the ‘taste testing’ that has to be done every time these are made (wink).
I was in a food rut when it came to feeding my kiddos so, like always, I took to the internet! I found this awesome Easy Chicken Nuggets recipe from Weelicious and it was better than expected! I loved the idea of including rolled oats for added nutrition but they also absorb moisture as the chicken cooks so the nuggets are juicy on the inside and crisp on the outside.
I am particularly grossed out by raw chicken, so when I make this I do a double batch so I can limit my exposure to touching raw chicken. The original recipe says to put raw chicken in the blender- GROSS! Holy moly, that sent shivers down my spine when I read it. Just do yourself a favor and buy ground chicken at the grocery store. I also bumped up the spices because we like to pack in the flavor around this house. You can easily adjust the amount of spice to your preference.
The oats and seasonings need to be ground so I always just put them into my handy dandy Blendtec and pulse then until it’s a nice powder consistency. Any blender or grinder can take care of this.
Add the oats mixture to the chicken and mix well.
Next, we add Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper to Panko bread crumbs.
Make nugget sized shapes with about 1 Tbs. of the chicken mixture and gently coat it with the bread crumbs.
I always line a cookie sheet with parchment paper for easy, nonstick clean up. (PS. parchment paper is one of my favorite things ever.)
Pop them in the freezer for at least an hour and store them in the freezer in a ziploc bag for up to 3 months (!), or you can cook them for 15 minutes in a 375 degree oven. From frozen, they may take an additional few minutes, just check until they feel firm and are golden.
Before cooking, lightly spray with cooking spray. I love to use the Olive Oil spray from Trader Joe’s! I flip them once during cooking and then finish them off under the broiler to get them nice and golden.
These are really SO good. We make them for the kids, but in reality we (my husband and I) get just as excited when nuggets are on the menu. They’re delicious and nutritious!
- 2 pounds of Ground Chicken
- 1/2 cup Rolled Oats (also known as Old Fashioned Oats)
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/2 tsp Dried Parley
- 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
- Black Pepper to taste
- 2 cups Panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 Parmesan Cheese
- Pinch of Salt and Black Pepper
- Pulse oats, garlic, onion, parsley, salt and pepper in blender or grinder until a powder consistency.
- Combine with Ground Chicken and mix well.
- Prepare breading by mixing Panko bread crumbs, Parmesan and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Using about 1 Tbs of chicken mixture, form into nugget shape and gently coat in Panko mixture.
- TO FREEZE: place on parchment paper lined cookie sheet and allow to freeze for at least an hour. Place in labeled Ziploc bag and store in freezer for up to 3 months.
- TO COOK: place on parchment paper lined cookie sheet, lightly spray with cooking spray and cook in preheated 375 degree oven, flipping once, for 15 or until firm and golden. Broil once cooked through for added golden brown, if desired.
Let me know how it turns out!