Yep, another Hispanic style dish. I just have been DYING to have Strawberry Salsa again and thought I’d give taquitos a shot. I figured the kiddos would like these pretty little handheld pockets for yum.
Yep, the kids loved it! I served this with my Mexican Street Corn (<-click for recipe) which is also a huge family favorite.
My recipe calls for cooked shredded chicken. This can be simply rotisserie chicken, sauteed chicken, or whatever you prefer. I used my pressure cooker. I added my chicken and a little Hatch Chili Salsa (from Trader Joe’s, of course) to the pressure cooker and cooked it for about 15 minutes. It came out really flavorful and cooked perfectly for this. Depending on what kind of chicken you use, you can add more/less of the spices in the recipe. I’ll post it as if the chicken was plain.
The next tip has to do with the tortillas. You can see below that the 2 taquitos to the far left are, to be nice, a little ragged. This is because I didn’t pan fry them first, like the others. I tried warming them all in damp paper towels in the microwave for 1 minute, but they still fell apart. So, I really recommend you take the time to heat up a skillet, spray some cooking oil and heat each tortilla for about 2 minutes per side. You can see it really makes a difference.
I also had to put a cup beside each taquito as I mad them in order to keep them from unrolling. They ended up taking the whole length of the cookie sheet which worked out perfectly!
There are 2 ways to do this recipe. 1) Cook them all at once and eat them right away or 2) Par Cook them all and then reheat the leftovers later. Reheating them is super simple. Just throw them in the oven at 375 for about 20 or until they are golden and crispy.
They turned out really yummy and the Fresh Strawberry Salsa and Chipotle Lime Sour Cream really made it a show stopper.
Oven Fried Chicken Taquitos
- 3 cups cooked Chicken, shredded
- 1/4 cup canned Refried Black Beans
- 1/2 cup Mexican Blend Shredded Cheese
- 2 Tbs Salsa (pick your favorite- I prefer Salsa Verde here)
- 1/4 tsp Cumin
- 1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/4 tsp Chili Powder
- 20 fresh Corn Tortillas
- Cooking Oil (Canola or Vegetable)
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Line a cookie sheet with tin foil (dull side up) and brush with 1-2 Tbs Cooking Oil. Set aside.
- Combine chicken, beans, cheese, salsa and spices and mix well. Set aside.
- Heat a skillet to med-high heat. Spray or add enough oil to lightly coat the pan. You are just preventing them from sticking to the pan, you don’t want enough oil to “fry” them.
- Soak each tortilla in water and then add oiled to pan for about 2 minutes per side. You will have to do this in batches so be sure to keep your pan oiled or the tortillas will stick. This is to lightly cook the tortillas so they don’t break when you roll them up.
- Bundle the warmed tortillas in a clean kitchen towel until ready to use.
- Scoop about 2-3 Tbs of filling into each warmed tortilla, roll tightly and place seam side down on oiled cookie sheet. *tip: I placed a cup beside my taquitos while on the cookie sheet to help keep them from unrolling or you can secure them with a toothpick.
- Brush tops of taquitos with 1-2 Tbs cooking oil.
- If eating all taquitos right away: Place in 425 degree oven for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
- If saving some for later: Par cook all the taquitos in 425 degree oven for 10-15 minutes or until the edges just start to brown. Remove from oven. Place desired amount back into oven and continue to cook until golden brown- about another 5-10 minutes. You can reheat the remaining taquitos in a 375 degree oven for about 20 minutes or until crispy and golden, turning once. I sprayed the tops of the leftover taquitos with oil before reheating them.
Serve with your favorite toppings. I recommend Chipotle Lime Sour Cream and Fresh Strawberry Salsa. *Recipes Below*
Chipotle Lime Sour Cream
- 1 cup Sour Cream or Mexican Crema
- 1/2 Fresh Lime, zest and juice
- 1 Chipotle Chili in Adobo, finely chopped
- Combine all ingredients and mix well.
- Store in refrigerator until ready to use- at least 10 minutes.
Fresh Strawberry Salsa
- 1 Pint of Fresh Strawberries, hulled and chopped
- 1/2 Fresh Jalapeno, minced (add more if you like it HOT)
- 1/4 cup Red Onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Cilantro, chopped
- Juice of 1 Lime
- Salt/Pepper to taste
Combine all ingredients and mix well. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
Let me know how it turns out. Happy Noshing!