- 2 Tbs Olive Oil (or grease from the Pork Roast!)
- 1 Large onion, finely chopped
- 1 Green Bell Pepper, finely chopped
- 10 cloves Garlic, minced
- 8 cans of Black Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 ham hock
- 3 Tbs Cumin powder
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1-2 quarts Chicken Stock
- 2 Bay Leaves
- Bring large stock pot to Med-High heat. Add oil, onions and peppers and season with a little salt and pepper. Saute until onions start to brown slightly. Add Garlic and saute another 2 minutes but making sure garlic doesn’t burn. If it starts to burn, add a little chicken stock.
- Add black beans and ham hock. Cover about an inch with Chicken Stock. If you prefer, you can do half Chicken Stock, half water.
- Add spices and Bay Leaves. Let simmer about an hour. If ever it seems like there is not enough liquid, add more stock or water.
- When beans are nice and tender and everyone in the pot seems happy, taste and season with additional salt/pepper if needed.
Let me know if you like it. Happy Noshing!